Braces vs. Invisalign
Traditional metal braces and Invisalign are two of the most popular orthodontic treatments available today. While both methods are highly effective solutions for correcting crooked teeth, the choice between them depends mainly on the patient’s individual needs and personal preference. If you have mild to moderate misalignment and prefer a discreet treatment, Invisalign might be a good fit. For those with more severe misalignment, traditional braces may be a better treatment option.
A Quick Comparison
Comparing Braces vs. Invisalign
- Appearance: Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible when worn, so you won’t have to worry about people being able to see your braces.
- Treatment Time: The average length of an Invisalign treatment is around twelve months, while metal braces typically take a bit longer.
- Comfort: Invisalign is a removable treatment option. This often adds comfort and ease when eating or caring for your teeth. Patients often find the lack of metal brackets and wires that Invisalign provides to be more comfortable than traditional braces.
- Convenience: It may be harder to brush and floss your teeth with braces, and you should not eat hard or sticky foods while wearing braces. Invisalign aligners are removable, so you can easily eat and brush, but you must take caution not to misplace them.
- Effectiveness: Both metal braces and Invisalign work well at treating mild to moderate cases of tooth misalignment. They are equally effective at improving bite alignment and eliminating gaps between teeth. However, braces tend to be more effective at correcting severe cases of malocclusion.
- Care and Cleaning: Invisalign aligners are much easier to clean than metal braces. With braces, you must take care when brushing and flossing regularly to make sure you are preventing plaque buildup around the metal brackets.
- Cost of Treatment: The cost of Invisalign is often higher than that of metal braces.
Braces vs. Invisalign: Which Option is Best for Me?
There are many factors to consider when deciding whether to opt for metal braces or Invisalign. The best way to ensure you get the right treatment for your needs is to consult with our orthodontist, who can help you determine what type of orthodontic treatment plan would be best suited for your particular needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
While Invisalign and braces are both effective at treating minor to moderate cases of tooth malocclusion, braces are generally considered more effective at treating severe cases.
Invisalign uses a series of plastic aligners that fit over your teeth. Each tray contains two sets of aligners, one for upper teeth and another for lower teeth. When you wear the aligner trays, your teeth move gradually toward their ideal positions.
Invisalign treats many dental issues, including crooked teeth, crowded teeth, gaps between teeth, and misaligned teeth.
Most major dental insurance plans usually cover a portion of both Invisalign treatment and traditional braces. If your insurance doesn’t cover all of your treatment costs, ask about third-party financing options and monthly payment plans.
Schedule a Consultation with Shoreline Dental Today!
The value of having straight teeth is immeasurable. It improves your appearance, makes speaking and smiling easier, and helps you avoid serious health problems like gum disease and tooth decay. If you want straighter teeth but aren’t sure what orthodontic treatment option suits you, talk to us today about how we can help you achieve optimal oral health and an incredible smile.